Recipe: Nutella Banana Bread
Ah Nutella Banana Bread *sigh*
Guys, I kid you not, it took me three whole tries to get this one right *hides face*. Now I don’t bake much because I prefer to do my own thing and add a dash of this and a sprinkle of that, which absolutely does not work with baking. It requires a degree of accuracy to ensure you get things right and the slightest deviation can cause things to take a major turn – I learnt that one the hard way!
My first attempt was delicious (if I may say so myself), but had too many bananas and was entirely undercooked. So much so that I woke up at 6am the day after I made it to put it back in the oven for another hour before I left for work. The outcome – rich and delicious, but wayyyyy to banana-rey (is that a word??) and therefore a bit soggy in the middle – plus I was a bit lazy in my mashing/mixing so I had chunks of banana in there, which is probably why it didn’t cook evenly.
So the second try – I was determined to get it right. I whisked like my life depended on it, I even mixed in the Nutella too which I hadn’t done in batch 1. (In the first batch I swirled the Nutella in pretty half-heartedly so combined with my banana chunks it tasted more like a Nutella banana crepe than Nutella banana bread haha)
This time I also put the oven on HIGHHHHHH – bad idea. The top and sides were burned to a crisp 😂😂 but the inside was tasty at least.
Right, so here is the final recipe – made and perfected with love! (…for Nutella :D)
- Prep time: 25 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins (or slightly more, depending on your oven)
- Serves: 6 people
- Calories per serving: let’s not talk about it, this is a safe space haha!
What you’ll need
- 1 medium-sized egg
- 2 medium-sized ripe/over-ripe bananas
- Brown sugar – 1/4 cup
- Plain flour – 1 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Nutella – 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Butter – 1/2 cup (or 140g), melted
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Nutmeg – 1/4 teaspoon
- Cadbury’s whole nut, chopped roughly – or your preferred chocolate and hazelnuts
- A handful of Granola
- Start by preheating your oven to 200C
- In a large bowl, peel and mash your bananas. Try to get to a relatively even consistency and don’t have massive lumps like I did the first time
- Add the melted butter and sugar and continue to mix
- Next crack in the egg and add baking powder, salt, nutmeg, vanilla and flour. Mix these until you get an even consistency
- Warm the Nutella for a few seconds to make it easier to pour, then add it to your batter in a swirling motion over the top
- With a spatula, stir in with the same swirling pattern so the Nutella is distributed but not completely mixed in (alternatively you could just mix it in properly but I find that the swirling brings out the Nutella flavour more
- Pour into your baking tin and sprinkle granola over the top. Chop the whole nut into smaller pieces and add to the top too
- Cover with a sheet of foil to stop the toppings from burning and pop in the oven for 45 mins
[Remove the foil after 30 minutes to allow the top to brown]
- Use a clean toothpick or wooden skewer to test whether it’s done. Insert around the middle of the loaf and if when you pull it back up the stick has little or no crumbs your banana bread is done.
- Let it cool before taking out of the dish. Then serve and enjoy!
Try it out and let me know what you think! What other interesting banana bread recipes have you come across? Let me know in the comments below – I’ve heard peanut butter banana bread is divine…